Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Fritata - Better and Quicker than an Omlet


I love to cook Italian food, but for the longest time I was intimidated by fritatas. I have no good reason why - I can't even tell you what were my deep dark fears, I just didn't think I would do it right. How wrong I was!

Fritatas are so simple, so much easier than their French cousin omlet, that I can't believe it's taken me this long to break through the fear. They're wonderful for using up slightly wilted veggies in the frig (which if you've been reading, you can see is an ongoing problem for me!)

This one was made with onions and kale, eggs and cheese, salt and pepper. What could be better! As you can see from the picture, having a cast iron pan makes it easier, but you can do it with all metal pans as well. The basic premise is you saute vegetables, and once they're at a desired doneness, you add eggs and cheese and turn the heat to medium to cook the fritato almost all the way through. To cook the top, you place the whole pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the top of the fritata is set and Eccola! You're ready to eat!

Greens and Onions Fritata

1/2 onion, sliced
1 bunch greens, shredded
olive oil to coat bottom of pan
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated cheese, your choice (I used parmesan)

Saute onions in oil until soft, add greens and saute until wilted. Add beaten eggs with cheese and cook over medium heat until bottom of eggs are lightly browned. Place pan under broiler for 2-3 minutes until top is set to your liking. Remove from eat and cut wedges and serve.

Love and hugs!

No comments: