Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Creamy Root Vegetable Coleslaw

Coleslaw is one of those dishes that can be as boring as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or as exciting as falling in love with a new cuisine, at least in my book.

I'm a huge fan of raw vegetables and red cabbage in particular so I never tire of making new coleslaw combinations. Since I generally try to eat seasonally (if not locally) coleslaw becomes my salad of choice in the fall and winter. I love the crunch of raw cabbage and the tang of either cider or red wine vinegar in my coleslaw dressing. Adding other vegetables is like playing bingo with vegetables: what do I have in the refrigerator and pantry that will go well together?

I also enjoy adding nuts - walnuts, toasted sunflower seeds or sesame seeds - and dried fruit like raisins or cranberries add a touch of sweetness or crunch that is welcome in coleslaw.

What distinguishes this version from others that I've made is the fresh dill, lending it an almost Scandinavian touch which I loved. Adding fresh fennel and carrots made this a more root vegetable oriented slaw, perfect for this time of year!

Creamy Root Vegetable Coleslaw


1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1 cup green cabbage, shredded
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 fennel bulb, sliced thin
1 carrot, grated on large holes
1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
pepper

Combine all vegetables in bowl. In separate bowl or measuring cup combine vinegar and salt and stir to dissolve. Add oil and mix to emulsify. Add honey or agave, mustard and pepper and blend well. Add mayonnaise and dill to dressing and combine well. Pour over vegetables and thoroughly blend. Allow salad flavors to marry for at least 20 minutes.

Hugs!

2 comments:

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Mmm... I bet dill would be good in a coleslaw. I discovered how easy and versatile it can be a month or two ago when cabbage was on sale for 19 cents a pound. Needless to say we've eaten a lot of cabbage and coleslaw this winter.

Eve Fox said...

damn, that sounds good!