Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mediterranean Hors d'oeuvres Plate

For the longest time I had hostess insecurity. I had so little confidence in whipping up a hors d'oeuvres plate when someone happened to stop by. Part of this stemmed from the fact that my sisters had worked in upscale restaurants for years so it came naturally to them. Usually I put out too many cheeses, or they looked a mess on the plate or cutting board. I finally discovered the secret; less is more.

Obviously, this post is not a recipe but I wanted to share this picture and discuss the elements of this display that I love: savory cured meat, one or two cheeses (this was a young Manchego, nutty and easy to slice), olives (a variety if possible), and in this instance I added some sliced oranges for a bit of sweetness and cirtus. Inspired choice if I do say so myself (and it looks pretty too!)

Dear reader, if you have any go-to appertizes that you keep on hand in case of unexpected guests, please share!

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Fish and Tahini Salad at An Edible Mosiac
Broccoli Rabe with Caramelized Onions at Simply Recipes
Roasted New Potatoes at Thyme for Cooking - the Blog
Spicy Barley with Snow Peas and Feta at The Kitchen Illiterate

2 comments:

Faith said...

What a pretty platter of food! Cheese is one of my favorite things to serve too -- always a huge hit! :)

Reeni said...

Your platter looks delicious! I always have cheese and crackers on hand!