Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grilled Spice-Rubbed Sea Bass

I recently came across a new food website that I adore. It's called An Edible Mosaic, written by Faith who makes lots of traditional home cooked Arabic dishes for her Middle Eastern born husband (so you know they're fairly authentic.) She makes it sound so easy and that's where I found the inspiration for this dish, and I know there will be so many more to come!

Spice rubs on just about anything are a great alternative to breading - it looks like breading and creates a crust but there is no flour or breadcrumbs involved - Amazing!
The great thing about creating your own spice rub is that you can tailor it to your tastes. This particular mix is heavy on the fennel but I wanted to throw in the clove and coriander to temper it all. The addition of the garlic lends the melding influence of an allium but the red peppers really kick it up a notch. Have fun with it, it's your spice rub!

The fish I got - Sea Bass - was locally caught here in California and I bought it at the Santa Monica Seafood Market. At $12.99 lb, a full fillet fed two people very well. I love eating fish, and quite often it is my choice of entree when I dine out but I"m working on increasing my knowledge of preparing it at home. This was so good, I wish I had made more since I think it would made a wonderful cold lunch, with some tartar sauce in a baguette!

Grilled Spice Rubbed Sea Bass

Spice Rub
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
2 tablespoons fennel seed
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 whole clove
2 dried red peppers
1 tablespoon dried garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
olive oil for rubbing on fish

1/2 lb sea bass filets per person

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Grilled Salt and Vinegar Potatoes at 101 Cookbooks

2 comments:

Katie Zeller said...

Love the spice rub... I see now that I have not been generous enough when I have tried it in the past....

Reeni said...

The spice rub looks excellent! I love how it forms its own crust.