Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Simple Grilled Scallops

Frutti di mare, fruits de mare - fruits of the sea - however you say it, seafood are one of my favorite things to eat. In fact, during the 15 years I was vegetarian I was actually a "pesca-vegetarian" because I ate fish and fruits of the sea.

Scallops come in such a variety but if you're going to grill them reach for the largest ones you can find. I bought 9 which came to a pound, and three per diner was a good size serving. But get more if you're so inclined.

As with most fruits of the sea it is best to add as little as possible to allow the delicate flavor of the individual fish or mollusk to shine through. In this case I simply salted the scallops lightly and seared them on the grill, about 2-3 minutes per side to give them a nice browned crust. The best way to know when they are done is the touch method; they firm up as they cook and become more opaque.

These specimens were truly sweet and I ate them without the lemon, although others may want the option. I could have eaten more that would have felt gluttonous; maybe next time!

Grilled Scallops

3 large scallops per diner
salt
lemon (optional)

Light your grill and when the coals have gone white, place scallops over direct heat and grill on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove and eat immediately.

Hugs!


Recipes Currently Inspiring Me:
Thai Style Slaw at Closet Cooking
Herb Wrapped Chicken in Chili Garlic Sauce at Cooking Escapades
Lime Roasted Carrots and Saffron Orzo at A Kenetic Energetic but not Generic Diabetic

1 comment:

Faith said...

If they're cooking right, there's no seafood that I love more than scallops. It looks like yours are cooked to perfection!