Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tomato, Mango and Jicama Salad

Here's a super easy and fresh summer salad that uses my favorite root vegetable, jicama. The crunchy, citrus taste of jicama goes really well with the mango and cilantro and the savory taste of tomato just makes your mouth jump with excitement!

Bring this to your next picnic or potluck and watch people turn in surprise as they bite into the crunchy jicama. You could easily add some toasted nuts - cashews or almonds - and make this a heartier salad as a main dish or a side.

Don't add the avocado until the last minute as it has a tendency to get terribly mushed when tossing the ingredients.

Tomato, Mango and Jicama Salad

1 1/2 cups diced jicama
2-3 large tomatoes (I used a mix of heirloom and early girls)
2 large mangos (or 3-4 altufo AKA champagne mangos) diced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 avocado, diced
1 lemon or lime, juiced
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
salt

Mix all in a bowl and toss gently. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:
 
Vegan Tuna Salad at Gluten Free Goddess
Japanese Pickled Carrots and Daikon Radish at Closet Cooking
Shrimp Po Boy with Remoulade at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

4 comments:

Faith said...

I've actually never had jicama! I've been meaning to try it but I didn't really know how to use it...your salad looks like the perfect answer!

Reeni said...

This has to be one of the most perfect summer salads! And like Faith I have never tried jicama...I'm inspired to now.

Sarah S. said...

I'm pretty sure I said it here before, I have never tried jicama, and that is still true! I need to get on that.

Kirsten Lindquist said...

Faith, Reeni and Sarah meet jicama, jicama meet the lovely ladies who cook. I think you all would get along wonderfully! Thanks for commenting folks, let me know if you do try out this lovely root!