Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Seared Beef, Bean Sprout and Cucumber Salad

If you are a frequent reader, you may have noticed that I have begun a feature at the end of my posts entitled, "Recipes currently inspiring me," where I post three recipes from the food blogs on my blogroll that are inspiring me. I hope you find it helpful, but truth be told, it is more for my benefit so that I can keep a list of recipes that I'm interesting in making or riffing off of without having a bookmark folder larger than my hard drive! This meal came from one of those inspirations, specifically this recipe. And it was a doozey!

I knew that I loved all of these flavors and loved the idea of the raw veggies with all of those Asian ingredients, but the combination is incredible! Even my mom, not always a fan of more "exotic" ingredients as she deems them, loved this salad. So consider this one a double recommendation.

And so simple to make! I threw a second version together for two of us in as much time as it took to chop cabbage, mix the marinade and sear the beef. Usually I like my steak unadulterated, since I eat it so rarely, I just want to taste steak. But this recipe could push me to change that tune!

Seared Beef, Bean Sprout and Cucumber Salad

4 oz new york strip
1/4 cucumber, peeled and cut in half moons
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1 cup bean sprouts
1 tablespoon red onion, cut in slivers
1 tablespoon fresh mint
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro

Dressing
juice and zest from 2 limes
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 teaspoons fish sauce
4 teaspoons wasabi paste
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine dressing ingredients in small bowl. Combine veggies in a serving bowl. Season steak with salt and pepper liberally and sear over high heat in an already hot skillet or cast iron pan, 2-3 minutes per side (the meat continues to cook after removed from heat, so don't worry if it looks a bit red when you remove it). Allow to rest 2 minutes and slice on the diagnonal; place in marinade and soak for 10-15 minutes. Toss meat and marinade with veggies and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Thai Coconut Noodle Soup with Panko Crusted Chicken at Pithy and Cleaver
Limoncello Macaroons at 101 Cookbooks
Peperonata at Simply Recipes

No comments: