Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Caramelized Mushrooms with Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes

Ahhhhh Fall, when a cook's fancy lightly turns to mushrooms. Yup, I love cooking with mushrooms in the fall. They have such an earthy, soothing quality that I find hard to resist.

While we have zoomed past the fresh porcini season already, look for some recipes with the dried version soon to come. For now, I made do with this yummy dish that I saw over at Closet Cooking. I was going to post it as a recipe inspiring me, but I couldn't wait!

The preparation doesn't take as long when you make the potatoes as the onions and mushrooms are cooking. Obviously, you could add a different cheese if you are not keen on the blue, but I found it a nice foil to the mushrooms. While I ate this as a full dinner, you could easily double the recipe and make it as a set of side dishes to feed more than two people.

Caramelized Mushrooms with Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes

2 russet potatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons 1/2 and 1/2
salt
pepper

8 oz white mushrooms, cut in 1/2 inch slices
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc, Bordeaux)
salt
pepper

Place potatoes in large pot of water and turn on high heat. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet and add onions, turn down to low heat and cook slowly to caramelize, 20 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons butter and mushrooms and toss to coat. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring infrequently to allow mushrooms to brown and caramelize. Turn up heat and add butter and cook 1 minute before adding wine. Cook off wine for 2-3 minutes and turn off heat. Add salt and pepper. Drain potatoes and mash, adding butter, 1/2 and 1/2, and blue cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve with mushrooms on top.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:


Fresh Pasta with Lemon Ricotta Garlic Sauce at Pithy and Cleaver
Sauteed Beluga Lentils with Butternut Squash at Sprouted Kitchen
Gougeres at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy

3 comments:

nic@nipitinthebud said...

oh Kirsten those mushrooms look soooo tasty!
I'm not a fan of blue cheese on it's own but I can imagine how it would lend something a bit special to a plate of mash.

Reeni said...

I love the sound of the blue cheese potatoes Kirsten! My picky family won't eat the mushrooms...

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This sounds so delicious! I love mushrooms...not a fan of blue cheese but everyone else in my family loves it!