Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Deconstructed (Lazy Cook's) Spinach and Cheese Ravioli

Mark Bittman recently blogged about quick and easy homemade pasta made in the food processor. At first I was horrified (really, a food processor? Mark, this is too minimalist for me.) Then, I took a step back and thought about the shortcuts I have used and remembered this recipe.

At the beginning of my cooking life I was obsessed with spinach, ricotta and parmesan cheese as a combination and would spread it on toasts, baguettes and, of course, tossed it with pasta. After thinking about Bittman's recipe, I realized that this recipe was really a lazy cook's version of spinach and cheese ravioli. This was a staple all though grad school when I was too lazy to make homemade pasta. Thinking back on those days, when much time was spent reading post-modern theory and talking about deconstruction it dawned on me that this was a deconstructed ravioli!

Literary and political theory aside, food writers talk about "deconstructed" this and that when describing high end restaurant dishes that include all of the ingredients, elements and tastes of a traditional dish, but pulled apart or prepared in different ways. Not my personal style of food preparation so this is as chefy as I get.

I will be sending this over to Girlichef for Presto Pasta Nights this week, so stop by on Friday to see the full round-up.

Deconstructed (Lazy Cook's) Spinach and Cheese Ravioli

1 lb penne pasta (rigatoni or rotini would also work)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large (1 small) onion, minced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 package frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
salt
pepper
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Bring large pot of salted water to boil. In large skillet, heat oil on high and saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add spinach and turn heat down to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes until spinach is warmed through and well mixed with onion and garlic. In mixing bowl combine spinach, cheeses and season with salt and pepper. When water is boiling, cook pasta as directed and drain. Combine with spinach and cheese mixture and check seasoning of salt and pepper. Serve

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Smashed Potato and Leek Soup with Bacon and Thyme at The Perfect Pantry
Milk Punch at Smitten Kitchen
Sfeeha - Syrian Meat Pies at An Edible Mosiac

5 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Yum! This sounds amazing. I'll take it any way I can get it...constructed...deconstructed... I just want a big plate full! Fantastic, thanks for sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights this week :D

The Food Hunter said...

I'm ok with being called lazy if it gets me this dish.

Kankana said...

So creamyyy and cheesyyy !!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just as guilty of laziness, because I have always made similar quick dishes with the same idea I was doing 'shortcut' ravioli ... Your argument about deconstructing and minimalisms already won me over :)

Johanna GGG said...

I like the idea because I don't often make ravioli but the food processor is fine - just too much washing up!