Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Stir Fried Rice Vermicelli with Garlic and Scallions

I have to confess, I cart dry goods around with me that can be more than 1 year old (and sometimes a lot more than 1 year old!) But they are dried goods, and I think that they probably are still edible, I just need to do something with them! This phenomenon has been particularly problematic in the past couple of years when I have had much of my belongings in a storage unit. So now that I have moved into my own place and all said storage unit items are now being unpacked, it is time to cook up my warehouse of dried goods!

Vermicelli Rice noodles definitely fell into this category and in the quest to find a fun and easy recipe (kitchen is still in an unpacked stage) I found this recipe. Super simple and really delicious! I did not have red onions but tons of scallions so that substitution was made. In the time it takes to chop the garlic, ginger and onions the rice noodles soak and then cooking taking no time at all.

While the sauce looks really minimal for the amount of noodles, do not try to double it. This should not be a saucy noodle dish; it simply is for flavoring the noodles. Sauteed shrimp or tofu would make a nice addition to this quick dish, rounding it out as a full meal. But I can see myself making it as a side dish. Be forewarned that you will want to double the recipe, it is seriously addictive!

I will be sending this to Debbi of Debbi Does Dinner for Presto Pasta Nights. If you would like to join the fun, send your entry to crabbymomofthree (at) comcast (dot)net and cc ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com.

Stir Fried Rice Vermicelli with Garlic and Scallions
serve 2

8 oz (1/2 lb) rice vermicelli
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
5 scallions, chopped (white and green)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon peanut/sunflower/safflower oil

Soak vermicelli in cold water (depress with a bowl or cup to ensure it is immersed) for 15-25 minutes until soft but still firm. Strain and set aside. In measuring cup mix soy sauce, mirin, water, and sugar and blend well. Heat wok over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add oil and swirl to coat pan and heat until it begins to smoke. Add ginger, garlic and scallions and cook 2-3 minutes until it begins to color. Add half of sauce and cook 10 seconds. Add vermicelli and remaining sauce and stir and cook another 1-2 minutes until sauce is all absorbed and noodles are evenly colored. Serve immediately.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Bacon at Simply Recipes
Acorn Squash with Sesame Parsley Sauce at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Leek Bread Pudding at Ladyberd's Kitchen

3 comments:

Victor said...

Yum! Stir fry rice noodles are my all-time favorite. Lots of great flavor.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I LOVE stir fried noodles! It looks so good! Glad you told me about doubling it! Thanks for submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights!

Krista Jorstad said...

This sounds delicious, and looks like a balance of light flavors. Love it!