Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Venetian Warm Escarole

Here we go again, simple ingredients, and fantastic flavor. It is the gift of the Italians that they can create these amazing dishes.  Call it cucina povera or peasant food. No matter what you call it, it is delicious!

My memory fails me as to why I suddenly needed to have escarole, but there it was, the urge was strong, it was in the store and I bought it. Searching the web this recipe caught my eye and I gave it a whirl. Wow! Really, really, good! I guess I will be adding escarole to my list of veggies going in my new garden. And trust me, if you think you do not like so called bitter greens, just try this dish out. You will be amazed! I only wish that I had made two heads instead of one (and thank the gods that I was the only one eating because I ate the whole plate!

Venetian Warm Escarole
from this recipe at In My Box

1 head escarole, destemmed, washed, dried and sliced in 1/2 inch ribbons
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt

Heat oil and butter over high heat in deep skillet or cast iron pan. Add and cook until softened but not browned. Add escarole, red pepper flakes and sugar and saute for 3-5 minutes until escarole is wilted and turns bright green, stirring up the garlic. Season with salt remove from pan. Allow to rest 3-5 minutes before serving (the flavor really marry well during the rest). Serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:


Chu Chee Eggplant at Chez Cayenne
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookies at 101 Cookbooks
Guanciale for Charcutepalooza at Honey From Rock

1 comment:

The Food Hunter said...

great recipe. I need to add escarole to my garden too.