Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Quick Pickled Okra

I have family members who are compulsive shoppers for clothes, shoes, bags, furniture, you name it. Usually it is in thrift or second-hand stores and much of the old stuff gets sent back to the same stores, so it is a zero-sum game. Me, my impulsive shopping is at the Farmers Market; no surprise there.

Show me an interesting herb or green and I'm sold. Baby anything - squash, eggplant, artichokes - and out comes the cash. At least by limiting my cash flow my purchases are usually of a reasonable size.

A pound of okra found its way into my bag simply because I was sucked into the horde voraciously picking over the first okra of the season. Cornmeal crusted and pan-fried is my go-to recipe for the feared pod but I decided to branch out and found Pickled Okra on Food Blog Search. Crunchy, tangy, with lots of dill and garlic flavor, this was a great find!


By the way, if you have not yet discovered Food Blog Search, check it out. Tons of great food blogs at your fingertips without having to wade through gazillions of recipes. As an aside, I have never been successful in inserting the widget in my blog so if anyone can help out with that, please drop me a note!


Spicy Pickled Okra (from Homesick Texan, recipe halved)
 

1 pound okra, stems trimmed
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup fresh dill
1 jalapeno, cut in half
2 dried bird's eye (Thai) chiles
2 teaspoons cumin seed

2 teaspoons coriander
2
teaspoons salt
3 cups apple cider vinegar

Evenly divide the okra, dill, jalapeno and garlic cloves
between 2 quart-sized jars. Evenly divide spices between jars, fill 1/2 way with cider vinegar and the remaining with water. Cover and set out in sun for 4-8 hours. Refrigerate and the pickles are ready to eat within 24 hours and good for three weeks in the refrigerator. 

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me: 

Tilapia Baked in Thai Green Curry at Closet Cooking
Pesto Power Salad at Bitchin' Camaro
Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy at Simply Recipes

1 comment:

pam said...

Pickled is the only way I will eat okra!