Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Watermelon Tomato Salad

A couple of seasons back on Top Chef a contender made a salad similar to this one and won the Quick Fire Challenge (it was to do a 2 minutes segment for Good Morning America - 2 minutes!!) At the time I was really shocked at the combination - tomato, watermelon and a sharp cheese (she used feta). It was one of those instances when I decided that tasting was believing, since I wasn't so convinced.

Enter Mark Bittman talking about the same style salad. Welllll, Mr. Bittman melts my stubborn food heart so I gave it a whirl. It really is pretty fantastic. Sweet watermelon, tangy cheese and luscious tomatoes really do create some serious magic. Better late than never!

Bittman featured this in his new collection of Minimalist videos, revisiting his favs from the Minimalist archive. Easy to see why! He also notes that watermelon and feta is typical fare for Turkish breakfast - makes me wonder what else Turkish cuisine includes that could be so delicious!


Watermelon Tomato Salad from The Minimalist
(serves 4)

2 cups cubed watermelon
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, cut in bite size pieces (I used some giant heriloos that were gifted to me)
2 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup parsley, minced
1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled (gorgonzola, roquefort, maytag blue, etc.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or less to taste)

Combine watermelon, tomato, salt and cheese in bowl. In separate bowl whisk vinegar in oil and add cayenne to taste. Pour dressing over mixture and add green onions and parsley and toss well. Serve immediately.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Mango Pancake with Saffron Cardamon Cream at ECurry!
Greek Zucchini Pie at Stacey Snacks
Meatloaf Wellington at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

1 comment:

Susan said...

So refreshing. I just saw this recipe online and wondered about it. I'm glad I know someone who's tried it. As soon as I can fit some watermelon in my fridge, I will, too.

BTW, Turkish is an incredible cuisine - worth exploring, although you may get lost on the caravan forever. ; )