Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vegan Pepperoni - DIY Pantry

Homemade, vegan, pepperoni.

Really, need I say more?

This is a recipe that combines various versions found around the web. It does rely on vital wheat gluten, but unlike some of the recipes I found, it is not a hard and rubbery version. With about three times the tomato paste and my own addition of chili oil because the first versions I tried lacked both fire and the tomatoey flavor that pork pepperoni has, I feel justified calling it my own recipe.

Happily this version freezes well because I ate nearly one third of the batch in one sitting, and my digestive system was screaming at me for that! It's great on pizza, sliced for snacking or tucked into your favorite pizza dough with cheese and baked in the oven (stromboli style, watch for it soon in this space!)

Vegan Pepperoni - DIY Pantry
(makes 3-4 links)

4 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons lentils, cooked
2 tablespoons chili oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic flakes
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cup cold water

In a large mixing bowl mash the lentils really well and combine with all of the remaining ingredients except the water. Add the water slowly, stirring well to combine all. Continue stirring until everything is well combined and carefully form it into a ball in the bowl. Rinse your hands and cut 4 large sheets of parchment paper, the width of the roll and 8-10 inches long.

Break the sausage mixture into four pieces and form into a log and beginning at the edge of one sheet, place the log in the middle and roll tightly. Twist the ends like a tootsie roll. Repeat with the remaining mixture and sheets. Have a large pot with a steamer basket in it and boiling water inside. Steam pepperoni for 30 minutes or until firm. It won't be hard, but simply firm. Remove from steamer and allow to cool before packing into zip-lock bags and either refrigerating or freezing.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Pasta Putanesca Soup at Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
Green Bean Mushroom Casserole Leftover Pot Pie at The Well-Seasoned Cook
Pizza Quesadillas at Closet Cooking

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks Great! I do have a few questions.. Is this something that will hold up when served with a vegan cheese platter? What type of lentils are you using? Also, are the spices ground up before adding to the mixture? I can't wait to try out this recipe! Thank you!

maryandkevinaz said...

Hi Kirsten! I tried this recipe tonight. We really like this a lot. I can't wait to dice some to put on top of spaghetti. I'm also going to try using it in deep dish pizza or calzones with tofu/cashew soft cheese. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! To Lynn S- I think this would be yummy with a vegan cheese platter. I used cooked red lentils. I didn't grind the spices first. Someone that doesn't like whole mustard seeds might want to. I liked the added texture of whole fennel and mustard seeds.