Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Raw Chile Rellenos with Spicy Cashew Cheese

I know it's the middle of Summer and there's plenty of heat to go around, but I can't seem to get enough of fiery hot food. Jalapenos in particular are one of my favorites and now that stores are selling them at great prices and the specimens are so plump and juicy looking, I can't resist buying them by the handful. Luckily, this recipe popped into my head and now it's a staple that everyone in my house loves!

If you have a dehydrator, it helps to soften up the raw chilies a bit to dehydrate them for 2 hours after marinating them, but it's not essential. The creamy cashew cheese is such a soothing comfort food that perfectly compliments the crunch of the jalapeno. I will admit to having them for breakfast more than once, just because I love them so!

This blog will be going on hiatus for a while. I'm still getting my business up and running and the blog has become a back burner priority. I have no idea when I will return to it, but thanks for reading folks, I've enjoyed writing to you all so much!

Raw Chile Rellenos with Spicy Cashew Cheese
(serves 2-4)

4 large jalapenos
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
pinch salt

Spicy Cashew Cheese
1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 3 hours
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4-1/3 cup almond milk (make your own for totally raw Rellenos)
pinch of salt
pinch of ghost chili powder or other chili powder

Cut the jalapenos in half thru the stem, cutting the stem in half if you can to serve as a handle. Marinate in the olive oil, lemon and salt for at least 4 hours or overnight if possible.  If you have a dehydrator, place drained peppers on a tray and dehydrate for 2 hours to soften them. Drain cashews and combine with nutritional yeast, almond milk and salt in blender and puree until ultra smooth. Spoon into chiles and sprinkle chili powder on top and serve.

Hugs!

2 comments:

pam said...

Getting a business up and running takes a lot of work! Luckily you have these peppers to sustain you!

Joanne said...

I really need to try cashew cheese...sounds like a great addition to these chile rellenos!